- use quotation marks to bind terms as phrases, e.g. "peer pressure"
- by default, all terms in a search are combined with the AND operator
- boolean operations (AND, OR, NOT) must be entered in ALL CAPS
- cats AND kittens
- cats OR kittens
- cats NOT kittens
Wild Cards and Truncation Symbols
- the asterisk (*) will match zero or more characters within a word or at the end of a word
- e.g. lab*r will find labour or labor
- e.g. psycholog* will find psychology, psychological, psychologically, etc.
- the question mark (?) will match any one character
- e.g. wom?n will find women or woman or womyn
- wildcards cannot be used as the first character of a search