Selected Resources for Madness and the Media
WittSem 100Books | Indexes | Periodicals | Web Sites | Help
Subject HeadingsLibrary of Congress Subject Headings 28th ed., 5 vols., 2005.
Located on the table by the main bank of EZRA/Web terminals on the 2nd floor of Thomas Library.
Library of Congress Subject Headings will be similar to, but may be different from those used in periodical indexes. Use the indexing terms in these volumes to search for books in EZRA and OhioLINK.
Locating Books in Library CatalogsAt Wittenberg: EZRA -- the online catalog
At other Ohio academic Libraries: OhioLINK Central Catalog
In North America For ILL: WorldCat
- Indexes articles from over 1300 journals in psychology and related fields. (1967+)
- Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection
- Indexing, abstracts, and some full text for articles in Psychology and related subjects. Note: Off-campus users may experience difficulty using this resource.
- Index to articles in the medical literature
- Index and abstracts of books and articles in the field of communications.
- Communication & Mass Media Complete
- Indexing and some full text for articles in communication.
General and Newspaper Indexes
- Academic Search Complete
- Full text for more than 3,430 scholarly publications covering academic areas of study including social sciences, humanities, education, computer sciences, engineering, language and linguistics, arts & literature, medical sciences, and ethnic studies.
- Lexis-Nexis Universe
- Index to newspapers and other news sources from around the globe. Many full text.
PERIODICALSPeriodicals are where most of the information for your research papers will come. Remember that there are scholarly publications as well as popular publications You will most likely want to stick to scholarly publications for your research. For hints on how to tell the two apart, please see Scholarly vs. Popular Articles.
Wittenberg owns many scientific journals in both print and electronic formats. The link below will help you to find out what journals we own, the format, and where they are located.
- Journals the Library Has: Electronic & Print
- This searchable and browsable list of Wittenberg's journal holdings contains the names and dates of all the journal to which we subscribe as well as location information.
- Interlibrary Loan Article Request Form
- Use Interlibrary Loan to request articles not owned at Wittenberg from other libraries. Please see the form for more details.
WEB SITESWhen using the internet, always be thinking critically about what you are viewing. Good and bad information both reside on the internet and it isn't always easy to tell the two apart. For hints on spotting good web pages, please see the library's page on Evaluating Web Sites.
- American Psychological Association
- Homepage for the APA. It is a good source for news and current issues in Psychology and also contains information about the organization itself.
- National Communication Association
- Scholarly organization for those in the field of communication
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Mission Statement: NAMI is dedicated to the eradication of mental illnesses and to the improvement of the quality of life of all whose lives are affected by these diseases.
If you choose to use internet sites as information resources, you must cite them just as you must cite a book or journal article. For help citing webpages and other online resources, take a look at Citing Electronic Resources.
If you are having trouble with your research, please contact Alisa Mizikar, the Science Librarian, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call extension 7515. You can also contact any of the reference librarians at email@example.com or at extension 7511.
Compiled by Alisa Mizikar.