Selected Resources for Theatre Classes
Spring Semester 2016Books | Reviews & Periodicals
BOOKSLC subject headings | Library Catalogs | Reference Books | Top
Library of Congress Subject Headings
20th ed., 4 vols., 1997.
Kept on the long table by the main bank of EZRA/Web terminals.
Subject headings will be similar to, but may be different from those used in periodical indexes.
Locating Books in Library Catalogs
PN 1601 .D59 v1-12
|Brief Biographies and longer critical excerpts, arranged by author. See last volume for cumulative index.|
|Guide to Critical Reviews
PN 2266 .S16
|Index to critical play reviews published before 1973; has a 1982 supplement; separate volumes for American Drama, Musicals and Foreign Drama.|
|Modern Drama Scholarship and Criticism |
PN 1851 .C37 1997
|Bibliography covering criticism published from 1981-1990 about playrights of all eras.|
|New York Theatre Critics' Reviews
PN 2000 .N3 1940-1996
|Full articles from several New York newspapers, covering reviews of Broadway, off-Broadway and regional-theatre productions.|
- Theatre History on the Web
- A guide to online resources in theatre history.
- Internet Broadway Database
- "IBDB provides records of productions from the beginnings of New York theatre until today. Details include pertinent people involved as well as interesting facts and production statistics."
- The Costumer's Manifesto
- Costume history, timeslines and links to instructions for making costumes.
Reviews and PeriodicalsIndexes and databases | Finding periodicals | Top
Periodical indexes and databases for Theatre Research
|International Bibliography of Theatre & Dance||Indexing and (some) full text articles and books on theatre and theatre history.|
|America: History and Life||Articles and books on U.S andCanadian history, prehistory-present.|
|Historical Abtracts||Articles and books on non-U.S/Canadian history, 1450-present.|
|Humanities Full Text
|Scholarly articles in the humanities, with some fulltext|
|Academic Search Complete||Indexes about 2000 periodicals -- both scholarly journals and popular magazines; covers 1986-Present, with some fulltext coverage starting in the early 1990s.|
|Lexis-Nexis Universe||Full text newspapers, ca. 1980-present, including theatre reviews. Covers both U.S. and national newspapers.|
|New York Times - Historical||Full text and page images of the New York Times, 1851-1999|
|American Drama Criticism
Ref. PS 332 .D7 P33 1992
|Index to critical reviews of American plays from 1890 - 1990|
(1963- ) (Remote Access)
|Primarily a language and literature database, this will cover the literary aspects of drama.|
|New York Times Index
|To find theatre reviews under Theatre - [title of play]. NYT Index can be found in the Indexes shelving in Reference.|
|New York Theatre Wire||Current New York theatre news and reviews|
- At Wittenberg:
- Online Fulltext Journal Listing -- covers periodicals in electronic form only; follow the "Repeat Search on In-Library Periodical Holdings" to find out about print coverage of journals.
- At other Ohio academic libraries:
- OhioLINK Central Catalog (Note: you cannot get periodicals through OhioLINK)
Compiled by Ken Irwin.