Selected Resources for PhysicsBooks | Indexes | Periodicals | Web Sites | Help
Library Catalogs | Reference Books | Top
Library of Congress Subject Headings25th ed., 5 vols., 2002.
Kept on the long table by the main bank of EZRA/Web terminals.
Call NumbersFollowing are some of the common call numbers for books on various topics in Physics. It is useful when browsing for books to have a general call number, but it is not a replacement for doing an EZRA (our online catalog) search.
|QB Astronomy||QC 1-75 General Physics|
|QC 81-114 Weights and Measures||QC 120-168.85 Descriptive and Experimental Mechanics|
|QC 170-197 Atomic Physics||QC 221-246 Acoustics. Sound|
|QC 251-338.5 Heat||QC 350-467 Optics. Light|
|QC 474-496.9 Radiation Physics||QC 501-766 Electricity and Magnetism|
|QC 770-798 Nuclear and Particle Physics. Atomic Energy. Radioactivity||QC 801-809 Geophysics. Cosmic Physics|
|QC 811-849 Geomagnetism||QC 851-999 Meteorology. Climatology|
Locating Books in Library CatalogsAt Wittenberg: WebEZRA -- the online catalog
At other Ohio academic Libraries: OhioLINK
In North America For ILL: WorldCat
Reference BooksBelow is a select list of reference books relating to the physical sciences. These books can be found in the science and main libraries as noted.
- Dictionary of Geophysics, Astrophysics, and Astronomy
- Science Reference QB 14 .D53 2001
- Encyclopedia of Astronomy and Astrophysics (4 volumes)
- Main Reference QB 14 .E534 2001
- Facts on File Dictionary of Astronomy (3rd edition)
- Science Reference QB 14 .F3 1994
- Oxford Dictionary of Physics
- Online Access via Oxford
- Main Reference QC 5 .C56 2000
- Science Reference QC 5 .C56 2000 c.2
- Encyclopaedic Dictionary of Physics (9 volumes and 2 supplements)
- Science Reference QC 5 .E52
- Macmillan Encyclopedia of Physics (4 volumes)
- Science Reference QC 5 .M15 1996
- McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Physics
- Main Reference QC 5 .M425 1993
- Encyclopedia of Physics
- Main Reference QC 5 .R596 2004
- AIP Style Manual 4th edition
- Science Reference QC 5.45 .A45 1990
- AIP Style Manual 4th edition online
- Twentieth Century Physics (3 volumes)
- Science Reference QC 7 .T84 1995
- American Institute of Physics Handbook (3rd edition)
- Science Reference QC 61 .A5 1972
- Handbook of Physical Quantities
- Science Reference QC 61 .H36 1997
- Encyclopedia of Weather and Climate (2 volumes)
- Main Reference QC 854 .A45 2002
- Weather Almanac (9th edition)
- Science Reference QC 983 .W4277 8th ed. 1998
- Main Reference QC 983 .W4277 9th ed. 1999
- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics
- Main Reference QD 65 .H3 79th, 1998-1999
- Science Reference QD 65 .H3 87th, 2006-2007
- Covers 1969 to present. Index to literature in all areas of physics. Database is updated weekly and contains some full text.
- A comprehensive index to all areas of engineering. Covers 1969 to present and is updated monthly. Some full text is available.
- Science Citation Index
- SCI is part of Web of Science, this database allows you to search an index of science articles and also find out who has cited an article.
- Access Science
- Full text access to over 7000 articles in all areas of science. Updated daily.
- Video Encyclopedia of Physics Demonstrations
- Containes 600 demonstrations of physics principles. RealPlayer format.
- Academic Search Complete
- This is a broad subject database covering most academic topics. Many full text articles.
- Wilson Index
- The Wilson Index contains informaion in three broad categories: science, humanities, and social sciences. Coverage goes back to 1983 and some full text is included.
Periodicals are where most of the information for your research papers will come. Remember that there are scholarly publications as well as popular publications You will most likely want to stick to scholarly publications for your research. For hints on how to tell the two apart, please see Scholarly vs. Popular Articles.
Wittenberg owns many scientific journals in both print and electronic formats. The links below will help you to find out what journals we own, the format, and where they are located.
Journals the Library Has
This is a searchable index of the periodicals Wittenberg owns in electronic and print formats. Location and dates owned are also provided.
Journal Interlibrary Loan Form
Use Interlibrary Loan to request articles not owned at Wittenberg from other libraries. Please see the form for more details.
When using the internet, always be thinking critically about what you are viewing. Good and bad information both reside on the internet and it isn't always easy to tell the two apart. For hints on spotting good web pages, please see the library's page on Evaluating Web Sites.
If you choose to use internet sites as information resources, you must cite them just as you must cite a book or journal article. For help citing webpages and other online resources, take a look at Citing Electronic Resources.
If you are having trouble with your research, please contact Alisa Mizikar, the Science Librarian, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call extension 7515. You can also contact any of the reference librarians at email@example.com or at extension 7511.
Compiled by Alisa Mizikar.