Selected Resources for GeologyBooks | Indexes | Periodicals | Web Sites | Help
BOOKSLC subject headings | Call Numbers | Library Catalogs | Reference Books
Library of Congress Subject Headings.28th ed., 5 vols., 2005.
Kept on the long table by the main bank of EZRA/Web terminals.
Call Numbers for GeologyFollowing are some of the common call numbers for books on biological topics. It is useful when browsing for books to have a general call number, but it is not a replacement for doing an EZRA (our online catalog) search.
|GB Physical Geography|
|GB 400-649 Geomorphology||GB 651-2998 Hydrology|
|GE Environmental Sciences|
|QE 1-350.62 General Geology||QE 601-613.5 Structural Geology|
|QE 351-399.2 Minerology||QE 640-699 Stratigraphy|
|QE 420-499 Petrology||QE 701-760 Paleontology|
|QE 500-639.5 Dynamic and Structural Geology||QE 760.8-899.2 Paleozoology|
|QE 521-545 Volcanoes and Earthquakes||QE 901-996.5 Paleobotany|
Locating Books in Library CatalogsAt Wittenberg: EZRA -- the online catalog
At other Ohio academic Libraries: OhioLINK
In North America For ILL: WorldCat
Books on Scientific Writing and Presentations
- Scientific Writing: Easy When You Know How by Jennifer Peat et. al.
- Link to electronic book
- The Craft of Scientific Writing by Michael Alley
- Main Stacks T11 .A37 1996
- Scientific Papers and Presentations by Martha Davis
- Main Stacks T11 .D324 1997
- The Art of Scientific Writing by Hans Friedrich Ebel
- Main Stacks QD9.15 .E23 2004
Reference BooksBelow is a select list of reference books relating to the geological sciences. These books can be found in the science and main libraries as noted.
- McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology (20 volumes)
- Reference Q121 .M3 1997 (8th edition)
- Access Science @ McGraw-Hill: the Online Encyclopedia of Science and Technology
- McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms
- Reference Q123 .M15 2003 (6th edition)
- Main Stacks Q123 .M34 1993 (5th edition)
- Macmillan Encyclopedia of Earth Sciences (2 volumes)
- Reference QE5 .E5137 1996
- Encyclopedia of Geology (5 volumes)
- Reference QE5 .E516 2005
- Glossary of Geology
- Main Stacks QE5 .G37 1980
- Geology (2 volumes)
- Main Stacks QE5 .G465 1999
- McGraw-Hill dictionary of geology and mineralogy
- Reference QE5 .M3654 2003
- Encyclopedia of Minerals
- Reference QE355 .R6 1990
- Igneous Rocks: A Classification and Glossary of Terms
- Main Stacks QE461 .I446 2002
- Metamorphic Rocks: A Classification and Glossary of Terms
- Reference QE475 .A2 M4746 2007
- Encyclopedia of Earthquakes and Volcanoes
- Main Stacks QE521 .R58 2001
- Encyclopedia of Volcanoes
- Reference QE522 .E53 2000
- Index to 200 years of articles on geology and earth sciences.
- Environment Complete
- Covers all areas of environmental science and indexes 1,200 journals, some full text.
- Web of Science -- Science Citation Index
- Index and cited references for articles in the sciences.
- Green File
- Covers all aspects of human impacts on the environment. 1913 to present.
Chemical Abstracts (STN Easy)
- Chemical Abstracts covers all areas of Chemistry including those of interest to biologists. It is a good place to look for topics in the realm of Biochemistry. Unlike most of our databases, we have limited hours of access and a password is required. Please talk to a reference librarian to learn more about our hours of access and password.
Academic Search Complete
- Academic Search Complete is a multi-subject database containing both scholarly and popular publications. Some material is available in full-text. It is a good starting place for introductory level classes.
A full list of Geology related indexes available at Wittenberg can be found at:
Periodicals are where most of the information for your research papers will come. Remember that there are scholarly publications as well as popular publications You will most likely want to stick to scholarly publications for your research. For hints on how to tell the two apart, please see Scholarly vs. Popular Articles.
Wittenberg owns many scientific journals in both print and electronic formats. The links below will help you to find out what journals we own, the format, and where they are located.
Journals the Library Has
This is a searchable index of the periodicals Wittenberg owns in electronic and print formats. Location and dates owned are also provided.
Journal Interlibrary Loan Form
Use Interlibrary Loan to request articles not owned at Wittenberg from other libraries. Please see the form for more details.
When using the internet, always be thinking critically about what you are viewing. Good and bad information both reside on the internet and it isn't always easy to tell the two apart. For hints on spotting good web pages, please see the library's page on Evaluating Web Sites.
- U.S. Geological Survey
- Geological and environmental information presented by the United States government.
- The Geological Society of America
- Website of the Geological Society of America, an organization for professional geologists.
If you choose to use internet sites as information resources, you must cite them just as you must cite a book or journal article. For help citing webpages and other online resources, take a look at Citing Electronic Resources.
If you are having trouble with your research, please contact Alisa Mizikar, the Science Librarian, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call extension 7515. You can also contact any of the reference librarians at email@example.com or at extension 7511.