Selected Resources for GeographyBooks | Indexes | Periodicals | Web Sites | RefWorks | Help
BOOKSLC subject headings | Call Numbers | Library Catalogs | Reference Books
Library of Congress Subject Headings.34th ed., 6 vols., 2012.
Kept on the long table by the main bank of EZRA/Web terminals.
Call Numbers for GeographyFollowing are some of the common call numbers for books on Geography topics. It is useful when browsing for books to have a general call number, but it is not a replacement for doing an EZRA (our online catalog) search.
|G for General Geography, Atlases, Maps||GF for Human Geography|
|GA for Cartography||GN for Anthropology|
|GB for Physical Geography||GT for Manners and Customs|
|GE for Environmental Science||GV for Recreation and Leisure|
Locating Books in Library CatalogsAt Wittenberg: EZRA -- the online catalog
At other Ohio academic Libraries: OhioLINK
In North America For ILL: WorldCat
Books on Conducting Research in the Social Sciences
- Data Analysis and Statistics for Geography, Environmental Science and Engineering by Miguel F. Aceve
- Main Stacks G70.2 .A26 2013
- Statistical Methods for Geography: a Student's Guide by Peter Rogerson
- Main Stacks G70.3 .R64 2010
- An Introduction to Scientific Research Methods in Geography & Environmental Studies by Daniel Montell
- Main Stacks G73 .M58 2013
- Key Methods in Geography Edited by Nichols Clifford, Shaun French and Gill Valentine
- Main Stacks G74 .K4429 2010
- Handbook of Qualitative Research Edited by Norman Denzin and Yvonna Lincold
- Main Stacks H62. H2455 2000
- Qualitative Research Practice: a Guide for Social Science Students and Researchers Edited by Jane Ritchie and Jane Lewis
- Main Stacks H62 .Q3546 2003
- Investigating the Social World: the Process and Practice of Research By Russell Schutt
- Main Stacks HN29 .S34 1996
Reference Books and ResourcesBelow is a select list of references relating to Geography.
- The Penguin Dictionary of Geography
- Main Reference G63 .C652 1998
- World Almanac and Book of Facts
- Reference Desk AY67 .N5 W7 2009
- Philip's Geography Dictionary
- Reference G63 .P45 2000
- The Columbia Gazetteer of the World
- Reference G103.5 .C645 1998
- Atlas of the World
- Reference G1021 .G4125 2005
- The Dictionary of Physical Geography
- Reference GB10 .D53 2000
- Encyclopedia of Human Geography
- Reference GF4 .P58 2004
- County and City Data Book
- Reference HA202 .A36 2007
- Places Rated Almanac: Your Guide to Finding the Best Places to Live in America
- Reference HN60 .B69 2000
- Stateman's Year-book
- Reference JA51 .S7 148th ed., 2012
- The World Factbook
- Online Resource
Academic Search Complete
- Academic Search Complete is a multi-subject database containing both scholarly and popular publications. Some material is available in full-text. It is agood starting place for introductory level classes.
- Biological Abstracts
- Biological Abstracts indexes articles from all fields of Biology. Coverage includes 1980 to the present.
- Business Source Complete
- Index to journal articles in management, economics, finance, accounting, international business, and more.
- SocINDEX covers all areas of sociology from 1895. Some full-text available.
- Index to over 200 years of geological and earth science literature.
- World DataBank
- Comparative economic statistics from around the world.
- Web of Science (Social Science Citation Index)
- Index and cited references for articles in the social sciences
- Lexis-Nexis Academic
- Full text database of news, government and industry information.
- One Search (Discovery Service)
- Search many, many databases at once.
A full list of the indexes available at Wittenberg can be found at:
Periodicals are where most of the information for your research papers will come. Remember that there are scholarly publications as well as popular publications You will most likely want to stick to scholarly publications for your research. For hints on how to tell the two apart, please see Scholarly vs. Popular Articles.
Wittenberg owns many scientific journals in both print and electronic formats. The links below will help you to find out what journals we own, the format, and where they are located.
Journals the Library Has
This is a searchable index of the periodicals Wittenberg owns in electronic and print formats. Location and dates owned are also provided.
Journal Interlibrary Loan Form
Use Interlibrary Loan to request articles not owned at Wittenberg from other libraries. Please see the form for more details.
When using the internet, always be thinking critically about what you are viewing. Good and bad information both reside on the internet and it isn't always easy to tell the two apart. For hints on spotting good web pages, please see the library's page on Evaluating Web Sites.
If you choose to use internet sites as information resources, you must cite them just as you must cite a book or journal article. For help citing webpages and other online resources, take a look at Citing Electronic Resources.
If you are having trouble with your research, please contact Alisa Mizikar via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 937-327-7515. You can also contact any of the reference librarians at email@example.com or at extension 937-327-7511.