Selected Resources for Communication 222: Comic Books as Culture
Fall Semester 2010Books | Periodicals | Web Sites
BOOKSLC subject headings | LC Call Number Classes | Library Catalogs | Reference Books | Top
Library of Congress Subject Headings
Library of Congress Classifications (a selected list)
PN 6700 - 6790 Comic books, strips, etc., including: PN 6710 - General works, including history PN 6712 - Moral and religious aspects PN 6720 - General collections PN 6725-6728 - United States PN 6735-6738 - Great Britain PN 6790 .J3 - Japan
See also: our list of Books of or about Comics and Graphic Novels Shelved in Unusual Places (ie, materials not in the Main Stacks PN 6700s)
Locating Books in Library Catalogs
Comics Research Libraries
- Comics Journal, 1973-
- Held at BGSU and OSU; also at Denison from 2003-
- Not indexed? Many interviews with comics authors/artists available on their website
- Image [&] Narrative
- Free online web journal. Searchable.
- ImageTexT: Interdisciplinary Comics Studies, 2004-
- Free online web journal
- Table of Contents online
- International Journal of Comic Art, 1999-
- Held at BGSU, Miami U, OSU, and U of Cincinnati
- Indexed in MLA Bibliography
- Journal of Popular Culture
- Wittenberg has v.1 to present, plus online starting in 1970.
- Indexed in ?
Indexes to periodicals for Comics Research
Other Useful Indexes
- At other Ohio academic libraries:
- OhioLINK Central Catalog (Note: you cannot usually get periodicals through OhioLINK)
WikiProject Comics - a subset of the Wikipedia online encyclopedia. Note: content is editable by anyone and should therefore be treated with special attention to possible errors.Evaluating Web Sites
Useful Literary Web Sites
Compiled by Ken Irwin, firstname.lastname@example.org.