Research Resources for Chemistry 300 & 400: Chemistry SeminarBooks | Indexes | Periodicals | Web Sites | Help
Locating Books in Library CatalogsAt Wittenberg: EZRA -- the online catalog
At other Ohio academic Libraries: OhioLINK
In North America For ILL: WorldCat
General Science Reference Works
- McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology
- Reference QD121 .M3 1997
- Also Available Online
- Van Nostrand's Scientific Encyclopedia 3 vols
- Reference Q121 .V3 2008
- McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technological Terms
- Thomas Library Reference Q123 .M15 2003
- Science and Technology Almanac
- Reference Q173 .S395 2002
- Main Stacks Q124.6 .S35 1999
- Lagowski, Joseph Macmillan Encyclopedia of Chemistry 4vols.
- Reference QD4 .M33 1997
- Lewis, Richard J. Condensed Chemical Dictionary
- Reference QD5 .C5 2007
- Main Stacks QD5 .C5 1997
- McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Chemistry
- Reference QD5 .M36 2003
- Main Stacks QD5 .M357 1997
- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics
- Reference QD65 .H3 87th, 2006-2007
- Dean, John A. Lange's Handbook of Chemistry
- Reference QD65 .L36 1999
- The Merck Index: An Encyclopedia of Chemicals, Drugs, and Biologicals
- Reference Desk RS51 .M4 2006
- Howard, Philip H. Dictionary of Chemical Names and Synonyms
- Reference TP9 .H65 1992
- Handbook of Reagents for Organic Synthesis 7 vols.
- Main Stacks QD77 .H37 1999
- Pouchert, Charles J. Aldrich Library of FT-IR Spectra 2 vols.
- Main Oversize QD96 .I5 P66 1985
- Pouchert, Charles J. Aldrich Library of Infrared Spectra
- Main Oversize QD96 .I5 P67 1981
- Pouchert, Charles J. Aldrich Library of NMR Spectra 2 vols.
- Main Oversize QD96 .N8 P68 1983
- Patnaik, Pradyot Handbook of Inorganic Chemicals
- Reference QD 155.5 .P37 2003
- Dictionary of Organic Compounds 5 vols. + Suppl.
- Reference QD246 .D5 1982 (5th edition)
- Gokel, George W. Dean's Handbook of Organic Chemistry
- Reference QD 251.3 .G65 2004
- Lide, David Names, Synonyms and Structures of Organic Compounds: A CRC Reference Handbook 3 vols.
- Main Stacks QD291 .N36 1995
- Daintith, John -- editor. Facts on File Dictionary of Biochemistry
- Main Stacks QP512 .F33 2003
- Lewis, Richard J., Sr. Hazardous Chemicals Desk Reference
- Reference T55.3.H3 L49 1997
- Main Stacks T55.3.H3 L49 1997
- Ash, Michael Handbook of Green Chemicals
- Reference TP155 .A845 1998
- Maizell, Robert E. How to Find Chemical Information: A Guide for Practicing Chemists, Educators, and Students
- Available Online
- Peat, Jennifer et al. Scientific Writing: Easy When You Know How (2002)
- Available Online
- Hager, Peter J. Designing & Delivering Scientific, Technical, and Managerial Presentations (1997)
- Main Stacks P95 .H34 1997
- Davis, Holly B. et al.A Short Guide to Writing About Chemistry (2010)
- Main Stacks QD8.5 .D38 2010
- Alley, Michael The Craft of Scientific Writing (1996)
- Main Stacks T11 .A37 1996
- Davis, Martha Scientific Papers and Presentations (1997)
- Main Stacks T11 .D324 1997
- A Field Guide for Science Writers : the Official Guide of the National Association of Science Writers (1997)
- Main Stacks T11 .F521997
- International Critical Tables of Numerical Data, Physics, Chemistry and Technology (1926-1933)
- Reference Storage Q199 .N32
- Beilsteins Handbuch der Organischen Chemie (1918)
- Reference Storage QD251 .B4 1918
General Chemistry Reference Works
Subject Specific Works
Using the Chemical Literature
Scientific Writing and Presentations
Chemical Abstracts -- STNEasy
An easy-to-use online interface to the electronic equivalent of Chemical Abstracts. Database is maintained by the Chemical Abstracting Service. Use of STNEasy is limited to Wittenberg University students and faculty. It can be accessed from 5 pm to 5 am Monday through Thursday, from 5 pm Friday to 6 pm on Saturday, and from 8 am Sunday to 5 am Monday. Please contact a reference librarian or a member of the Chemistry department for a login ID and password.
Web of Science -- Science Citation Index
Index and cited references for articles in the sciences. This database helps you to see more recent work on a topic by allowing you to search for articles that cite an article you already have.
Academic Search Complete
A multi-subject database including science coverage. Some articles are full-text.
Indexes journal articles on all topics of biology and medicine. Covers 1980 to present. Some full text available.
Produced by the National Library of Medicine, PubMed covers all aspects of clinical medicine from 1966 to present.
Wittenberg has access to many more science indexes online. Go the Library's list of Indexes & Databases for more information.
Journals the Library Has: Electronic & Print This is a searchable index of the periodicals Wittenberg owns in print and electronically. Location and dates owned are also provided.
Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Journals While these journals can be found in the above list, this section of OhioLINK's Electronic Journal Center is the best place for 'one stop shopping' for browsing fulltext online chemistry journals.
Periodicals are where most of the information for your research papers will come. Remember that there are scholarly publications as well as popular publications. You will most likely want to stick to scholarly publications for your research. For hints on how to tell the two apart, please see Scholarly vs. Popular Articles.
If the journal you need isn't owned by or accessable electronically at Wittenberg, you will have to order the article through InterLibrary Loan (ILL). Fill out a blue ILL sheet at the Science Library or in the main library. You can also fill out Inter-Library Loan forms online. While there is no fee, articles usually take 10-14 days to come in so order early!
Selected Web Sites
American Chemical Society - provides access to their journals, job bank, and other Chemistry sites on the Web.
WebElements Periodic Table This Periodic Table online by Mark Winter at the University of Sheffield, England. Find information on the elements by clicking on the table.
ChemDex An organized list of links to specialized chemistry related websites.
Webbook for Chemistry A mini-handbook of Chemistry. Includes tables, weights, formulas, structures and synonyms for substances. This site is produced by the National Institute of Standards and Technology.
There are many many web sites devoted to the topic of Chemistry -- some good and some bad. For hints on how to evaluate web sites, please see our Evaluating Web Sites guide. If you choose to include websites, you will need to cite them just as you need to site other sources of information. Take a look at our Citing Electronic Resources page for help. Be sure to cite all the resources that you need for your paper. Here's a link to our quick guide to citations.
If you are having trouble with your research, please contact Alisa Mizikar, the Science Librarian, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 937-327-7515. You can also contact any of the reference librarians at email@example.com or at 937-327-7511.
Compiled by Alisa Mizikar