Selected Resources for BiologyBooks | Indexes | Periodicals | Web Sites | Help
BOOKSLC subject headings | Call Numbers | Library Catalogs | Reference Books
Library of Congress Subject Headings.28th ed., 5 vols., 2005.
Kept on the long table by the main bank of EZRA/Web terminals.
Call Numbers for BiologyFollowing are some of the common call numbers for books on biological topics. It is useful when browsing for books to have a general call number, but it is not a replacement for doing an EZRA (our online catalog) search.
|GE for Environmental Sciences||QP for Physiology|
|QH for Ecology||QR for Microbiology|
|QK for Botany||R for Medicine|
|QM for Human Anatomy||S for Agriculture|
Locating Books in Library CatalogsAt Wittenberg: EZRA -- our online catalog
At other Ohio academic Libraries: OhioLINK
In North America For ILL: WorldCat
Books on Scientific Writing and Presentations
- Scientific Writing: Easy When You Know How by Jennifer Peat et. al.
- Link to electronic book
- The Craft of Scientific Writing by Michael Alley
- T11 .A37 1996
- Scientific Papers and Presentations by Martha Davis
- T11 .D324 1997
- The Art of Scientific Writing by Hans Friedrich Ebel
- QD9.15 .E23 2004
Reference BooksBelow is a select list of reference books relating to the biological sciences. These books can be found in the science and main libraries as noted.
- McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology (20 volumes)
- Main Reference Q121 .M3 1997 (8th edition)
- Access Science @ McGraw-Hill: the Online Encyclopedia of Science and Technology
- McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms
- Reference Q123 .M15 2003 (6th edition)
- A Dictionary of Earth Sciences
- Reference QE5 .D54 2008
- Macmillan Encyclopedia of Earth Sciences (2 volumes)
- Reference QE5 .E5137 1996
- Nature Encyclopedia
- Reference QH13 .N37 2001
- A Dictionary of Biology
- Reference QH 302.5 .D54 2008
- A Dictionary of Biology
- 2004 Available Online
- McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Bioscience
- Reference QH302.5 .M382 2003 (2nd edition)
- Encyclopedia of Genetics (2 volumes)
- Reference QH427 .E53 1999
- Encyclopedic Dictionary of Genetics, Genomics, and Proteomics
- 2008 Available Online
- Current Protocols in Molecular Biology
- Reference QH506 .C87 1998
- Encyclopedia of Molecular Biology (4 volumes)
- Reference QH506 .E53 1999
- Encyclopedia of Environmental Biology (3 volumes)
- Reference QH540.4 .E52 1995
- Dictionary of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics
- Reference QH540.4 .L56 1998 (2nd edition)
- Current Protocols in Cytometry
- Main Oversize QH585 .C87 2002
- Encyclopedia of Insects
- Reference QL462.3 .E485 2003
- The Encyclopedia of Mammals
- Reference QL703 .E53 2001 (2nd edition)
- Walker's Mammals of the World (2 volumes)
- Reference QL 703 .W222 1999
- Grzimek's Animal Life Encyclopedia (17 volumes)
- Reference QL 3. G7813 2003 (2nd edition)
- Encyclopedia of Human Biology (9 volumes)
- Reference QP11 .E53 1997 (2nd edition)
- Encyclopedia of Microbiology (4 volumes)
- Reference QR9 .E53 2000 (2nd edition)
- Encyclopedia of Immunology (4 volumes)
- Reference QR180.4 .E53 1998 (2nd edition)
- Current Protocols in Immunology
- Main Oversize QR183 .C87 1996
- American Heritage Stedman's Medical Dictionary
- Reference R121 .A53 2004 (2nd edition)
- Mosby's Medical Dictionary
- Reference R121 .M89 2009
- Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy
- Reference RC55 .M4 (2006, 18th edition)
- Covers the agricultural literature from 1970 to present. No fulltext.
- Biosis Previews (Formerly Biological Abstracts)
- Biosis Previews indexes articles from all fields of Biology.
- Index to clinical medicine, nursing, veterinary and allied health literature. Some fulltext is available.
- PubMed provides another interface to the data contained in MEDLINE plus additional content.
- Web of Science -- Science Citation Index
- Index and cited references for articles in the sciences.
Chemical Abstracts (STN Easy)
- Chemical Abstracts covers all areas of Chemistry including those of interest to biologists. It is a good place to look for topics in the realm of Biochemistry. Unlike most of our databases, we have limited hours of access and a password is required. Please talk to a reference librarian to learn more about our hours of access and password.
- PsycINFO covers the literature of Psychology from 1967 to present. This is a good place to look for articles for anyone with an interest in Clinical Psychology.
Academic Search Complete
- Academic Search Complete is a multi-subject database containing both scholarly and popular publications. Some material is available in full-text. It is a good starting place for introductory level classes.
A full list of Biology related indexes available at Wittenberg can be found at:
Periodicals are where most of the information for your research papers will come. Remember that there are scholarly publications as well as popular publications You will most likely want to stick to scholarly publications for your research. For hints on how to tell the two apart, please see Scholarly vs. Popular Articles.
Wittenberg owns many scientific journals in both print and electronic formats. The links below will help you to find out what journals we own, the format, and where they are located.
Journals the Library Has
This is a searchable index of the periodicals Wittenberg owns in electronic and print formats. Location and dates owned are also provided.
Journal Interlibrary Loan Form
Use Interlibrary Loan to request articles not owned at Wittenberg from other libraries. Please see the form for more details.
When using the internet, always be thinking critically about what you are viewing. Good and bad information both reside on the internet and it isn't always easy to tell the two apart. For hints on spotting good web pages, please see the library's page on Evaluating Web Sites.
If you choose to use internet sites as information resources, you must cite them just as you must cite a book or journal article. For help citing webpages and other online resources, take a look at Citing Electronic Resources.
If you are having trouble with your research, please contact Alisa Mizikar, the Science Librarian, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call extension 7515. You can also contact any of the reference librarians at email@example.com or at extension 7511.