Requesting Items from Other LibrariesOhioLINK for books, media, and sometimes periodicals
OhioLINK is a consortium of over 80 institutions of higher education and a few public libraries in the state of Ohio. Our membership in OhioLINK allows us to access many library materials that would not otherwise be available to us.
OhioLINK makes use of the OhioLINK Central Catalog which is available at: http://olc1.ohiolink.edu/search/ or via the Thomas Library web site. It is a combined catalog of all OhioLINK's member libraries. The Central Catalog contains over 49 million library records for more than 10 million unique items statewide. Using the OhioLINK catalog, you can identify items not available at Wittenberg and request them using the automated online system. You can find books, periodicals, videos, and other media in the Central Catalog by searching for keywords, authors, titles, subjects, etc.
Books and Media -- Please follow the steps below to request books, CDs, videos, DVDs, and the like through OhioLINK.
- When you locate a book or media item in the OhioLINK Central Catalog that you would like but is unavailable at Wittenberg click on REQUEST button.
- If the item is available for request, you will be prompted: "Please select your school or instution." Select Wittenberg U from the pull down menu and click on the Submit above information button .
- You will then be asked to typed in your name and bar code number. Your bar code number is the 14 digit number on your Wittenberg ID card.
- Then select a pickup institution and pickup location. This allows you to have the item sent to another OhioLINK instutution for pickup if you wish. Thomas Library's circulation desk is Wittenberg's pickup point.
- The Circulation Department of the Library will email you when the item(s) you requested have arrived. Items usually take about 3 business days to arrive. You must check out OhioLINK materials at the Circulation Desk in Thomas Library.
Periodicals -- Recently some OhioLINK schools have begun allowing parts of their magazine and journal collections to circulate. To request a periodical through OhioLINK:
- First locate the periodical by title or ISSN in the OhioLINK Central Catalog.
- Once you locate the title you want, click on it to see the full record.
- Now click on REQUEST button.
- Use the pull down menu to indicate that you are affiliated with Wittenberg University and submit this information.
- Enter your name and bar code number as you would to request a book.
- Select a pickup institution and pickup location. Thomas Library's circulation desk is the only pickup location for Wittenberg.
- A list will appear showing all the holdings for this periodical in OhioLINK. You must look at the Status column on the far right. Only those volumes listed as "AVAILABLE" can be requested. You must also make sure to request the specific volume number that you need. Once you have located the volume needed and determined that it is available, mark the box in front of the location on the far left.
- Then click on REQUEST SELECTED ITEM at the bottom of the screen.
- You will be notified via email when the periodical arrives.
NOTE: Unlike using traditional ILL for periodical articles, you will be sent the entire volume, not just a photocopy of the article.
If you cannot locate the needed periodical at Wittenberg or in the OhioLINK Central Catalog, please see the section below on Inter-Library Loan to request a photocopy of an article.
OhioLINK Loan Policies
Books and Periodicals -- Faculty members may check out books and some periodicals for 6 weeks and renew them up to 6 times as long as there has not been a hold placed on the item . Overdue fines are charged at $.50 per item per day. $2.00 per day is charged for the late return of recalled OhioLINK materials. There is a minimum $125.00 replacement charge for lost OhioLINK books.
Media -- Videos, CDs, and other media may be checked out for 7 days, but may not be renewed. Overdue fines are charged at $.50 per item per day. $2.00 per day is charged for the late return of recalled OhioLINK materials.
- Borrowing privileges at other OhioLINK libraries using your Wittenberg ID, you can go to any OhioLINK library and check out materials. A bonus feature of this service is that you don't need to personally return the item to its home library. Simply bring the book or item Thomas Library. For a full list of all the OhioLINK member libraries please see: http://www.ohiolink.edu/members-info/
If you have any questions about any of the services or features of OhioLINK, please contact, the Reference Librarians at 327-7511 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SearchOhio allows you to request books from a number of Ohio public libraries. You may either access the SearchOhio Catalog directly or from the OhioLINK Library Catalog. (After completing a search in OhioLINK, simply click on the SearchOhio icon near the top of the screen to rerun the search in SearchOhio.)
Books and Media -- Please follow the steps below to request books, DVDs, music, etc. through SearchOhio.
- When you locate a book or other item in the SearchOhio Catalog click on Request this title.
- If the item is available for request, you will be prompted: "With which library are you affiliated?" Select Wittenberg U from the pull down menu and click on the Submit above information button.
- You will then be asked to type in your name and bar code number. Your bar code number is the 14 digit number on your Wittenberg ID card.
- You will be notified via email when the item(s) you requested are available. Items usually take about 3 to 5 business days to arrive. You must check out SearchOhio materials at the Circulation Desk in Thomas Library.
SearchOhio Loan Policies
Books, Audio Books, and Music -- Wittenberg faculty, staff and students may check out books for 21 days and renew them up to 3 times. Fines for overdue books are charged at $.50 per book per day. There is a $25.00 processing fee for lost items or items returned after 30 days overdue.
DVDs -- Wittenberg faculty, staff and students may check out DVDs through SearchOhio for 7 days and renew them up to 3 times. Fines for overdue books are charged at $.50 per book per day. There is a $25.00 processing fee for lost items or items returned after 30 days overdue.
- Books not available in OhioLINK or at Wittenberg Before ordering books through Inter-Library Loan (ILL), make sure they are not available through OhioLINK by checking the Central Catalog. If the books aren't available through the OhioLINK Central Catalog, you may request them through ILL. You can use the online request form or the printable form. This form is also available at the Circulation and Reference Desks in Thomas Library. Hard copies of forms need to be turned in to the Circulation Desk. Books requested through Inter-Library Loan usually take about 10 to 14 days to arrive. Circulation staff will call or email you when the book has arrived at the library. You will then have to come to Thomas Library to check out the book. Length of check out period varies by lending library as does possibility for renewal. Ask at the Circulation Desk for this information when requesting books through Inter-Library Loan.
- Periodical Articles not available in OhioLINK or at Wittenberg before you request a photocopy of an article from another library, be sure to check Thomas Library's periodical holdings. You can do this online by going to http://www6.wittenberg.edu/lib/research/ejournals/ . This is a searchable list of all the periodicals that Wittenberg has access, what format they are in, and where they are located. Be sure to also check OhioLINK as some schools now allow for circulation of select periodicals. See the above section on requesting periodicals through OhioLINK for more information.
If we do not own the needed periodical and it isn't available through OhioLINK, you can fill out an Inter-Library Loan form online or fill out a printable form. Printable forms need to be turned in at the Circulation Desk. Hard copy forms are also available at the Reference and Circulation Desks. Requests usually take about 10-14 days to fill. They will be sent to you via campus mail after they arrive at the Library.